Welcome to 2022! While our holiday festivities have come and gone, the excitement hasn’t ended. We have two new wine workshops in store for you next February—just in time for your Superbowl and Valentine’s Day plans.
Wine Workshop: Potato Chips
Have you ever realized that wine and potato chips go perfectly together? No really, they do! In our wine workshop on Sunday, February 6th, we will be teaching you how to pair five Great Lakes Potato Chip Co. flavors with five of our estate-grown wines.
In the meantime, here are 4 quick and easy Superbowl snacks that you can pair beautifully with our wines and prep your palates for our potato chip workshop with…
For an easy pre-Superbowl snack, you can’t go wrong with a massive bowl of BBQ chips. The smoky, tangy flavors stand up so well to a bold red. Pair with your favorite dip and you’ve got yourself a hit!
2018 Trí (red blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Pinot Noir)
Classic Potato Chips
Prefer the salty crunch of classic potato chips? We don’t blame you… Your favorite classic isn’t as boring as most people think, plus they go especially well with high-acid white wines. Once you find your perfect wine and chip combo, you’ll never go back to anything else.
Dry Riesling, Chardonnay, or our 2020 Brut Sparkling!
Time to bring in the big guns. You deserve better than fast food nachos—and they’re super easy to make at home. You’ll need:
- 1 lb. ground meat
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 15 oz. of beans, refried
- 1 tbsp of taco seasoning
- 2 cups of your preferred cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Sour cream
- Baking sheet
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- While your oven preheats, cook your ground meat with your preferred seasonings. You can choose turkey, beef, chicken, or whatever your heart desires. Feel free to add any mix-ins you enjoy, like onion and peppers.
- Line your baking sheet with foil and spread half of your tortilla chips out.
- Add half of your meat, beans, and cheese. Add another layer with the remaining tortilla chips and toppings.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Top your nachos with salsa, sour cream, cilantro, or any preferred toppings then pair with a bold white wine!
Chips and Queso
The MVP of every Super Bowl event. Instead of store bought queso, opt to make a fresh, creamy version at home. Believe us… it’ll be worth it. You need just a few ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup American cheese, shredded*
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded*
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 bag of tortilla chips for dipping
- Saucepan or pot
* Pro-tip: We highly suggest shredding your own cheese at home. Pre-shredded cheese just doesn’t melt as smoothly!
- Heat your saucepan or pot over medium heat. Slowly start adding the shredded cheese in, stirring well as it melts.
- Slowly add milk to thin the mixture out, as desired.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve warm and add tortilla chips for dipping and your favorite white wine!
Chardonnay or Pinot Blanc
Wine Workshop: Chocolate
Chocolate and wine are a classic Valentine’s Day pairing. In our wine workshop on February 8th, you get to learn all the best tips and tricks for pairing chocolate and wine from our local chocolatiers, Great Lakes Chocolate and Dessert Co.
While you’re waiting for the event, here’s our mini guide to chocolate and wine pairings at home!
Since white chocolate contains the lightest flavors of the bunch, we suggest you begin here. Pair the sweet, buttery notes of white chocolate with a sweet white or red wine. Try it with Select Harvest Riesling, Moscato, or Rosé.
Milk chocolate should be next in your tasting. Smooth and creamy, milk chocolate pairs well with fruity wines possessing a lighter body. Sip on a glass of Pinot Noir or Merlot while you nibble.
As dark chocolate contains the most intense flavors, we suggest placing it last in your tasting. With notes of bitterness and often earthy undertones, dark chocolate goes well with fruity, full-bodied wines. The Trí red blend is a great choice for these flavors.
Psst… Need a refresh on wine tasting? Read our Food and Wine Pairing 101.
The tickets for these events sell out quickly! Be sure to snag a spot before it’s too late. We’re excited to see you soon!